Governors' Annual Report
Annual Statement of Key Issues Faced and Addressed by Governors
The Governing Board of Jarrow School works with the Head Teacher to promote and maintain high standards of educational achievement. The Governing Board have prioritised the following key issues during the year. Our role is to provide the strategic direction of the School and to assist the Senior Team in continuing to improve the standards and quality of our provision.
1. Safeguarding and Safety: This is our single most important duty. We have reviewed all our policies and procedures in this area.
Impact: Attendance continues to be one of our key priorities. Year 11 attendance has shown significant improvement and this has impacted positively on outcomes.
2. Improving Outcomes for Students: We have challenged the Senior Team to continue to improve outcomes at both Key Stages by improving the quality of teaching. We have monitored the progress of students and we have also monitored staff development and training.
Impact: Progress for students at both key stages has improved. We are particularly pleased that the outcomes in English and mathematics have continued to improve and that our Progress 8 score has shown significant improvement demonstrating improvements in achievement across the curriculum.
3. Further Improving Leadership and Management: We have further reviewed the staffing structure of the School and our faculty leadership structure is now fully embedded across the School.
Impact: These changes have increased accountability at all levels. They will also assist with succession planning for the future.
4. Further Improving Transition Arrangements: We have further improved our transition arrangements and how the school is promoted to improve student numbers. Governors attended the School Open Evening and have also attended other events with the Senior Team to promote the School.
Impact: Numbers on roll have increased from 722 (September 2017) to 776 (September 2018).
5. Responding to National Education Policy Reforms: Throughout the last academic year, there have been changes to national policies in education and other areas including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Governors have ensured that the School meets all statutory requirements. Changes have included revised data protection procedures across the school.
Impact: Jarrow School meets its statutory requirements.
6. Governor Monitoring and Evaluation: Governors are linked to particular subject areas and to specific themes (e.g. Special Educational Needs or Pupil Premium). Governors regularly visited the School and the areas they are linked to. As governors we talked to students and to staff and visited lessons. We also received reports about the work of the School. As governors, we also visited the school for occasions such as Harvest Festival, Remembrance, Awards and Parents’ Evenings and this gave us a more rounded perspective of how the School operates. These events also gave us further opportunities to speak to students, parents and staff.
Impact: Governors fully support the work of the School and are able to monitor and evaluate the school based on both primary and secondary evidence.
7. Overseeing the Financial Performance of the School: Governors have worked with the School to ensure continued achievement of the Schools Financial Value Standard (SFVS). Governors also monitored how the Pupil Premium funding was being used We utilise regular budget monitoring reports to enable us to challenge how spending aligned with the School budget thus ensuring solvency and probity ensuring financial resources were used effectively. As a result of this we have been able to employ four additional members of teaching staff across the school.
Impact: The budget is managed effectively and financial resources are used appropriately.
8. Holding the Senior Team to account: A critical part of the governors’ role is to support and challenge the Senior Team of the School. We did this through regular contact, visits, meetings and the work of our committees. There is a strong and robust relationship between Governors and the Senior Team.
Impact: Governors have a strong working knowledge of the School and alongside external quality assurance, have great confidence in the Senior Team. The School continues to be judged as ‘Good’ following a Section 8 inspection on 1 March 2017.
Composition of the Governing Board
- 2 parent governors
- 1 head teacher
- 1 staff governor
- 1 local authority governor
- 2 co-opted governors
- 8 foundation governors
Committees of the Governing Board
- Curriculum, Assessment and Learning
- Finance and Human Resources
- Performance Management and Pay Review
- School Community
- Ethics Panel – Pupil Disciplinary
- Complaints and Appeals
Chair of Governors
Mrs JA Stokes
Vice Chair of Governors
Mr IT Dalziel
|Name||Appointing Body||Category||Term of Office||Committees||Official Responsibility||Financial Interest||Non-Financial Interest||Date Interest Registered|
|Mrs J A Stokes||Jarrow School Trust||Foundation||01/04/2018 to 31/03/2022||Curriculum, Assessment & Learning
Finance & HR
|Chair of Governing Board||Nil||Trustee of Jarrow School||15/03/2018|
|Mr I T Dalziel||Governing Body||Co-opted||02/07/2015 to 01/07/2019||Curriculum, Assessment & Learning
Finance & HR
Vice Chair of Governing Board
Chair of Finance and HR Committee
|Mrs C Smith||Governing Body||Co-opted||02/07/2015 to 01/07/2019||School Community||Nil||Nil||17/05/2018|
|Mrs N Fraser||Jarrow School Trust||LEA||30/11/2015 to 29/11/2019||Curriculum, Assessment & Learning||Nil||Nil||28/06/2018|
|Mr D J Hall||Jarrow School Trust||Foundation||01/04/2018 to 31/03/2022||Finance & HR||Nil||Governor at Harton Technology College||15/03/2018|
|Ms B McCulla||Jarrow School Trust||Foundation||10/12/2017 to 09/12/2021||Finance & HR
|Chair of School Community Committee||Employed by ST Catering Team||Catering Officer for Jarrow School Kitchen||15/03/2018|
|Mrs M Henderson||Jarrow School Trust||Foundation||17/01/2018 to 16/01/2022||Finance & HR||Nil||Nil||24/01/2018|
|Mr K Smallcombe||Jarrow School Trust||Foundation||04/11/2018 to 03/11/2022||School Community||Solicitor||Education Appeals committee||06/10/2016|
|Mr B Stonehouse||Jarrow School Trust||Foundation||09/10/2018 to 08/10/2022||Nil||Nil||03/11/2018|
|Mr J Ali||Parent Body||Parent||15/03/2018 to 14/03/2022||Nil||Nil||28/06/2018|
|Miss J Gillies||By Virtue of Position||Head Teacher||01/01/2013||Curriculum, Assessment & Learning
Finance & HR
|Mr M D Calder||Staff Body||School Staff||21/07/2016 to 20/07/2020||Curriculum, Assessment & Learning
|Mrs J Hogg||Jarrow School Trust||Foundation||11/12/2015 to 10/12/2019||Finance & HR||Nil||Nil||16/05/2018|
|Mr M Adamson||Parent Body||Parent||11/12/2015 to 10/12/2019||Curriculum, Assessment & Learning||Nil||Nil||15/03/2018|
|Mrs J Barclay||Jarrow School Trust||Foundation||18/03/2016 to 17/03/2020||Nil||Nil||17/05/2018|